Wondering what to do when you are waiting in the queue to GO LIVE? Plan a great broadcast! Check out these 10 tips that will help make any broadcast exciting and engaging.
1. While waiting in the queue, pay attention to the current broadcaster. Be prepared to address what they were saying and continue the conversation.
2. Have something exciting to talk about or show the audience. A sports team, your favorite band, your favorite pet. Your bedroom, an instrument, a skill or talent– dance, funny stunt, etc. Have a vision of how you would like your broadcast to go, and execute it!
3. Never start off by asking for fans or votes. Earn them by being interesting!
4. Introduce yourself to the audience. Remember new people join all the time – you want them to know who you are and why they should listen to you.
5. Stay positive. As a rule, ignore bad votes or comments (there are exceptions to this rule, but they will just distract you).
6. Be outgoing, wild and inspiring. Prepare a fun costume, wig, or make over. Be creative and have fun with it – if you are having fun, it will translate to your audience.
7. Balance your time. As your broadcasting, remember the majority of people want to see you broadcast. It’s just boring to watch someone respond to trivial chat questions for more than a minute here or there.
8. Be seen. Make sure you have good lighting for your broadcast. You want to look your best, as poor lighting can be detrimental to any broadcast.
9. Poll the audience. Ask people yes or no questions to get them engaged… or “Type 1 in the chat if you want me to do a backflip… Type 2 if you want me to eat a goldfish!”
10. Use Twitter / Facebook to enhance your broadcasts. Have fans tweet you during your broadcast using @younow and your twitter handle, or mention you and YouNow on facebook, and then give them a shout out – they deserve it!
Stay tuned for more posts about making your YouNow.com broadcasts the best they can be!
So I have used YouNow for a few of months now, and since the beginning I have made so many unforgettable friends such as Ellie Cook and Connor Halsey. I first heard about the website thorough one of Sam Pepper’s tweets and decided to have a look. At first I was reluctant to ‘go live’ but after watching a few other broadcasts I pressed that green button and my life hasn’t been the same. From people adding me on facebook and following me on twitter, to people emailing me saying they’re big fans of me, things changed quickly! It made me happy knowing that just by sitting on my bed broadcasting, I could make people smile.
Since then I have become addicted to YouNow, going on it everyday and broadcasting. When the counter goes “3..2..1.. Your live”, I get an inexplicable sudden rush of excitement! Also, it was a big buzz when I found out that I was live while Adi Sideman, CEO of YouNow, presented at the New York Tech Meetup. I mean, I’m a 15 year old girl just sitting on my bed having fun, but to find out that I was live in front of over 1000 people was an amazing shock!
A screenshot of the YouNow iPhone Beta App, from the broadcast selection screen
For me, I think the best thing is that I’m a tester for the YouNow mobile beta app. Being 1 of 25 people in the whole world to have that app is extraordinary, absolutely out of this world, and is a real achievement. It is rewarding to know that I am one of the people who is making YouNow even better for the new people that visit the site, and I am honored.